The Consumer Goods Forum, a network of more than 400 manufacturers and retailers, recently announced a commitment to achieve zero net deforestation by 2020. That is a remarkable and important commitment to get deforestation out of major supply chains within just 7 years. We seek an intern to assist with an initial assessment of supply chain links between places where deforestation is happening most rapidly, raw commodities being produced from either the timber or the cleared land, and the consumer goods derived from those commodities. The purpose of this assessment is to identify where and through what supply chain inputs, CGF companies could achieve the greatest reductions in deforestation.
Internship responsibilities will include:
- Summarizing current global trends in deforestation,
- Assessing the extent to which different commodities are either driving or following on deforestation in different regions
- Identifying which of those commodities are likely to be in the supply chains of CGF companies.
- Creating spatial and network maps that show the current links between deforestation and consumer goods supply chains.
- Estimating the amount of deforestation currently associated with major commodities.
- Relevant educational experience that will bear on this project, for example forestry, agriculture, spatial analysis or supply chain analysis.
- Excellent research and analytical skills, especially with respect to synthesizing information gathered by reviewing published literature and consulting with experts.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills for reporting results
- Ability to think critically and solve problems creatively.
- Ability to work independently and with others to complete projects.
- Ability to make maps and convey information visually is a plus.
Washington, DC or Seattle, WA
Unpaid. For all unpaid internships, applicants must be enrolled in school and be able to obtain academic course credit from their university.
How to apply: Please email a resume & cover letter with the subject line “Internship Application” to Jon Hoekstra at firstname.lastname@example.org.